Weatherization Assistance Program
The Weatherization Assistance program goal is to assist low-income persons by increasing the energy efficiency of their housing and reducing their total residential energy expenditures.
To enhance the health and safety of residents, the program provides repairs and improvements to home heating and cooling systems and provides for the installation of energy-saving measures in the house. The services are for low-income families, particularly for households that have elderly persons, individuals with disabilities, and families with children.
After meeting with Weatherization program staff and applying to the program, a home energy audit will be scheduled. The audit will help identify the best energy-saving measures that are cost effective, healthy, and safe. Each Weatherization project is different and the services performed will vary.
Typical Weatherization Services Include:
- Sealing air leaks with insulation, caulking, and weather-stripping
- Installation of ventilation fans
- Repairing drafty duct systems
- Repairing and replacing inefficient or unsafe heating and cooling systems
- Installation of energy efficient lighting
Items to Note
- People Incorporated Weatherization serves Washington and Buchanan Counties and the City of Bristol, Virginia. For other localities, please see the Virginia Weatherization Provider List.
- The program does not offer payment assistance for utility bills. Click here for information regarding utility payment assistance.
People Incorporated's Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). View the DHCD Weatherization page.
For more information, please contact:
1173 West Main Street
Abingdon, VA 24210
If you are seeking a Weatherization provider elsewhere, please go to www.aecpes.org.